What is Uber?
Uber is an American transportation company launched in 2009 but after operating in countries like China, Mexico,India,France and other countries, its branch was now opened in Nigeria.
The innovation of Uber in Nigeria over the years has brought numerous benefits both to the driver and passenger such as comfort,safety and reliability.
In major cities across the country, Uber stands as one of the most popular companies that offer ride-sharing services to the people. It has also created employment opportunities to thousand of people and individuals across the country with steady driving jobs.
Since the service offers payment to the drivers on its platform, becoming an Uber is a great idea. However, many people are confused about the confused about the requirements they should fulfill before they can make money with their vehicles.
But luckily, this post will guide and explain everything about Uber in Nigeria and its requirements. It also help answer the popular question”How can I join Uber in Nigeria”. So lets begin.
Which Cars Are Accepted by Uber Nigeria?
Recommended cars include:
- Toyota-Corolla, Camry
- Honda-Accord, Civic,Element
- Hyundai- Elantra,Sonata,Tucson
The following list consist of possible condition of cars accepted by Uber Nigeria.
- No full-sized vans or trucks
- Model year 2009 or newer
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- Working windows and air conditioning
- Seat at least four passengers in addition
- No taxicabs,government cars,or other marked vehicles
- Seat at least four passengers in addition to the driver
Uber Requirements For Drivers
- All drivers must have a valid driving license for Nigeria
- All drivers must be at least 21 years of age or above
- All drivers should own a valid vehicle insurance cover,vehicle road-worthiness certificate,LASDRI card (for Lagos drivers) and a vehicle inspection report
- All drivers must provide a profile photo which must be forward facing,and a centered photo including the driver’s full face and top of shoulders with no mask or sunglasses
- All drivers are required to complete a safety screening
- All drivers should watch a short Uber training video
Steps to join Uber Nigeria
- Setup a Driver’s Account
Visit their website at https://www.uber.com/en-NG/drive/requirements/ to create a profile. Click on the the Sign Up Now Button and follow the instructions .Here you will be asked to input some details like Bank Account, Driver and Vehicle.
2. Upload Your Vehicle Documents
Here, you will need to upload your vehicle documents to your profile.
3.Book an On-boarding session
Here,Uber will inspect your vehicle and test your thinking skills as a prospective partner at selected venues. The applying drivers are expected to wear or appear in formal attire (no jeans).
4.Wait for Uber Background Checks
At this juncture, Uber takes your documents for proper investigation to see if you have any criminal record or have committed any offense regarding to traffic.This investigative process takes place within 2 to 4 weeks.
5.Collect an Uber Cell Phone
After the Uber background checks, you will be issued an Uber Cell Phone with Uber Driver app on it. With the help of this app, the Uber driver will be able to get passengers.
Uber Rates in Nigeria
The cost of a trip with Uber depends on the distance traveled as well as the time spent in the traffic. Which falls between #500 to #10000 naira.
Steps To obtain an Accurate Uber Rates in Nigeria
- Visit https://www.uber.com/ng/en/price-estimate/
- Enter your pickup location ,i.e your starting point e.g Ikeja
- Enter your destination e.g Surulere
The Rates will appear on its own under the boxes where you added you pickup and destination details.
Note:If you passenger decide to cancel the trip after you have accepted to pick them up, they will be required to pay a cancellation fee of #1,000.Also if the passengers decide to change their destination during the trip,the Rates will change.
How Much Can You Make as a Driver with Uber Nigeria?
As a Driver with Uber Nigeria, you take 75% while Uber takes 25%. For instance, if you earn #10000 per day,Uber deducts #2,500. So a driver with Uber Nigeria should make within #40,000 to #100,000 a week.
But your income depends on the following
- Occasional Bonuses offered by Uber
- Time:Rush hours are great time to have more passengers. You also make more money as a full-time driver than a part-time one.
- Location:Areas with high population and good roads tend to have more riders .
Uber Customer Care
You can contact the Uber Nigeria customer care via their twitter handle @UberNigeria
By using the Uber Driver app
- Open your Uber driver app
- Tap Help
- Tap the blue phone icon
- Tap call support
You can also contact them through any of their offices in Abuja or Lagos for more information .
Retail unit no. 5. second upper floor,Maryland mall,350/360 Ikorodu Road
Top Floor,Jabi Lake Mall, Bala Sokoto Way, Abuja